turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I drew unemployment from the railroad in 2020. It was not taxed until I filed taxes. Will I get the additional refund due to new tax law not taxing 10200 unemployment?

I received a refund but it was lowered greatly by having to “pay” taxes on all I had drawn in unemployment. Just am wondering if I will still qualify for additional money back.  Since my unemployment was tax free at time of payment.  Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I drew unemployment from the railroad in 2020. It was not taxed until I filed taxes. Will I get the additional refund due to new tax law not taxing 10200 unemployment?

only a maximum of $10,200 of UC is tax-exempt and then only if your modified adjusted gross income is less than $150,000. If this is your situation, the IRS will process your additional refund without you having to file an amended return. 

Ok. The biggest thing I was unsure of is that the unemployment I drew was untaxed when received from the railroad. However, I filed taxes and obviously my refund was affected due to “paying” taxes on that money at time of filing.  So even in this situation I should still receive additional money correct?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies