turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't understand the "Qualifying for Head of Household" state taxes question

who would I put as the person that allows me to qualify? my fiancee or my kids or myself?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Melaine

Your kids.  Your fiancée could also place you in that filing status, but only if you paid for over half of their care and they fulfill the requirements of a dependent.  To see if they qualify as a dependent and if you can claim them on your taxes, please use the IRS interactive tool Who Can I Claim As A Dependent.  Head of Household is a filing status such as filing single or married filing jointly.  In order to qualify for head of household a few of the requirements is that you are unmarried and have at least one dependent.  To learn more about this filing status, please see the Turbo Tax article below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288637

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Melaine

Your kids.  Your fiancée could also place you in that filing status, but only if you paid for over half of their care and they fulfill the requirements of a dependent.  To see if they qualify as a dependent and if you can claim them on your taxes, please use the IRS interactive tool Who Can I Claim As A Dependent.  Head of Household is a filing status such as filing single or married filing jointly.  In order to qualify for head of household a few of the requirements is that you are unmarried and have at least one dependent.  To learn more about this filing status, please see the Turbo Tax article below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288637

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies