Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I divorced March 2019. Filing taxes have not worked at all in 2019. Will I still receive the $2000

Child tax credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LLee

I divorced March 2019. Filing taxes have not worked at all in 2019. Will I still receive the $2000

If you divorced in 2019 your filing status with either be Single if you have no children or Head of Household if you have at least one minor child who lived with you for most of the year (greater than 6 months).  You can claim Head of Household for a child who lived with you most of the year even if the other parent claims the child as a dependent on their tax return (that parent could not claim head of household because the child didn't physically live with him/her). The $2000 child tax credit will be claimed by whomever claims the child on their tax return.  So if you are have a child that lived with you most of the year AND you are claiming the child on your tax return, then you will still receive the $2000 credit (and your should file Head of Household). Answering the questions in Turbo Tax under the personal section will help you figure all that out.  This site has more information that you might find helpful: https://smartasset.com/taxes/all-about-child-tax-credits.

TomD8
Level 15

Why hasn't filing worked?  Just start at the beginning, go step by step and answer every question carefully.  The TurboTax program will give you the child tax credit if you qualify.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies