Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't sign my tax returns before sending it... what should I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you e-filed it there is not a physical signature--you "sign" by entering your AGI or PIN.   If you mailed it without signing the paper form, then you should wait and see if the IRS mails it back to you for a signature.   Do not file again.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

If you mailed the tax return, the IRS will send the return back to you for signing.

If you e-filed the tax return there is nothing you need to sign as it was signed electronically when you entered the 2019 AGI on the 2020 tax return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you e-filed it there is not a physical signature--you "sign" by entering your AGI or PIN.   If you mailed it without signing the paper form, then you should wait and see if the IRS mails it back to you for a signature.   Do not file again.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you mailed the tax return, the IRS will send the return back to you for signing.

If you e-filed the tax return there is nothing you need to sign as it was signed electronically when you entered the 2019 AGI on the 2020 tax return.

.I did enter my AGI number on the form.. I just noticed I didn't sign it before sending it..

Should I call them and tell them or just wait for them to do something!! As we all are waiting...

Thanks for your help

Have a wonderful day

@ukenae wrote:

.I did enter my AGI number on the form.. I just noticed I didn't sign it before sending it..

Should I call them and tell them or just wait for them to do something!! As we all are waiting...

Thanks for your help

Have a wonderful day

We still don't know what "send" means.   Please state outright exactly how you filed your return.  Did you efile the return (transmitted it to the IRS electronically), or did you choose to print out the return and file the paper forms by postal mail?

What is the status displayed at the Tax Home when you log into your Online TurboTax account--which of these terms does it use:  accepted, rejected, printed, started, ready to mail, or what?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies