Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I didn't get a 1099-MISC for my independent business. How do I enter info?

I don't want to purchase the TurboTax Independent Business.  After paying for initial set up & samples, I didn't make too much in 2016
1 Reply
New Member

I didn't get a 1099-MISC for my independent business. How do I enter info?

You would just total up all cash, checks, and credit card income deposits that you received as income in 2016 and enter them, along with your business expenses, on your Schedule C in Turbo Tax. To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps.

Log into your tax return. 

Use the search box in the upper right hand corner. 

Type in "Schedule C" in the box. 

This will bring up the "Jump to Schedule C" that link. 

From here TurboTax will ask you some specific questions about your business. 

You'll be led through a different screens asking you more questions regarding your business. 

You'll also be taken to a screen to enter your income (this is where you can lump all your income together, or list the specific, check, or credit card income and put it in General Income).  Once you've entered your income and clicked Done and/or Continue.

Turbo Tax will bring you to the screen for you to choose what expenses you would like to enter onto your tax return

Another Option (Option 2)

Since you did not receive a Form 1099 Misc, please do the following in TurboTax:

  • Federal Taxes
  • Wages & Income
  • Self-Employment
  • Income and Expenses, then Click Start.
  • Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?, click Yes
  • Tell us the type of self-employment work you do, type in your description, click Continue
  • Let's get income, you can make your selection
  • If you do not have your Form 1099 Misc and wish to report, select Additional Income (check/cash payments), click Continue
  • Did you have any more income for sales? No, if that is the only one
  • Did you have expenses?, if you want to report any expenses related to this income, then you will need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed. If not, then you can continue using your current TurboTax version.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies