Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I claimed 0 (Zero) dependents on my W2 last year and when filing....

Hello,

I claimed zero dependents on my W2 all last year because my daughter was no longer a full-time college student, 23, and started a job in January-although still living at home. I expected her to continue working, but things happened to where she could not continue her employment. Rather than changing my dependent status on my W2, I kept it as zero dependents-hopeful she would regain steady consistent employment, but did not.

I just started to file my taxes and when going through the prompts about my daughter, it stated that she qualified as a dependent based on the questions I answered. Will me not changing my W2 back to 1 dependent last year be an issue when now I'm claiming her as dependent on my taxes?

Thank You.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can claim her (or anyone) at any age as a qualifying relative if she had less than $4,700 total income for the year.  How much did she make?  

Who can you claim
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/01/267...

View solution in original post

7 Replies

No.  What you claim at work on the W4 doesn't have to match your tax return.  I'm married but always claim Single 0 at work to have more taken out.  

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to add that my daughter also indicated on her W4, last year, that noone else could claim her as a dependent in order to match my W4. Will this be an issue? Thanks Again.

Nope.  No problem.  Just make sure on her return she checks the box that says she can be claimed on someone else's return.  

Well, she is not filing for 2023 because she doesn't meet the filing requirements and is still considered a dependent.

I would also like to know what the 2023 rules are for claiming a dependent because the whole reason I stopped claiming my daughter as dependent on my W4 was because she was not a "qualifying child". Like I said, she was 23, no longer a full-time student, and had a job .

However, I just found out, while doing my return that she does qualify as a "qualifying relative", which I did not know was possible. Would you please clarify this for me? Thank You.

You can claim her (or anyone) at any age as a qualifying relative if she had less than $4,700 total income for the year.  How much did she make?  

Who can you claim
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/01/267...

That's why she qualifies then because she made under $4,700.00. That makes sense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies