Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nanis05
Returning Member

I checked my eligibility for the advanced child tax credit on the irs site and it states that im not eligible for the payment!! Why is that if I claimed too dependents

I claimed too dependents on my 2020 taxes so I don't understand how iam not eligible for the payment
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I checked my eligibility for the advanced child tax credit on the irs site and it states that im not eligible for the payment!! Why is that if I claimed too dependents

to be eligible  you must have:

1) Filed a 2019 or 2020 tax return and claimed the Child Tax Credit on the return; or
Given us your information in 2020 to receive the Economic Impact Payment using the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool;

and
2) A main home in the United States for more than half the year (the 50 states and the District of Columbia) or file a joint return with a spouse who has a main home in the United States for more than half the year;

and
3) A qualifying child who is under age 18 at the end of 2021 and who has a valid Social Security number;

and
4) Made less than certain income limits.

These advance payment amounts begin to be reduced if your modified AGI exceeds:

$150,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower;
$112,500 if filing as head of household; or
$75,000 if you are a single filer or are married and filing a separate return.

if you meet all 4 tests then you answered a question incorrectly.

Nanis05
Returning Member

I don't think I answer something incorrectly as turbo tax help me do my taxes and its been the same info for the past 5 years ,the only thing that changed this year is receiving unemployment benefits half of last year!! But I still got a child tax credit on my refund this year.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-two-new-online-tools-to-help-families-manage-child-tax-cr...

IRS.gov/childtaxcredit2021

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/602921/child-tax-credit-update-irs-sending-letters-to-families-who-m...

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/602431/child-tax-credit-2021-who-gets-3600-will-i-get-monthly-paymen...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies