Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can't finish my 2022 Taxes because the ID.me suspended my account while I was trying to get "verified". Their support hasn't replied for 14 days. What do I do?

I can't finish my 2022 Taxes because the IRS required logging in via ID.me in order to access the transcript but ID.me suspended my account while I was trying to get "verified".

ID.me support hasn't replied for 14 days. Things worked perfectly fine without ID.me and it's really frustrating and unfair that they won't provide support. What do I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I can't finish my 2022 Taxes because the ID.me suspended my account while I was trying to get "verified". Their support hasn't replied for 14 days. What do I do?

You don't need an AGI to mail in the return. 

@Critter-3 

It's really the only way to check that all of my income is accounted for. 

In my case I lost access to a few crypto related accounts that went out of business and have no idea what they reported. 

First if you have a refund coming to you then filing late is not a problem.  Second, crypto sales are usually not reported to the IRS and if they were you should be able to get that info from the broker.  Last, you could file now and amend later... your choice.

"crypto sales are usually not reported to the IRS "

IRS considers crypto a capital asset ; all sell transactions must be reported on Schedule D.

@Critter-3 

@Critter-3 

I guess you meant "not reported by the broker to the IRS" on 1099-B.

My friend showed me his transcript and it looks like entries from 1099-B were also included.
In my case, it's not sales I'm mainly concerned about although I'd like to check what was reported to the irs but earnings from staking, etc. Some companies filed a 1099-misc, some said they will but didn't, some said they won't but they did.

@fanfare @Critter-3 

@Critter-3 
I should just pay extra and file later after ID.me responds?
Doesn't Turbotax shut down the ability to file using them past the extension deadline?

You can also request a transcript by mail by calling IRS automated

phone transcript service at 800 == 908 == 9946 .

Unfortunately that take 5 - 10 business day to arrive.

That's what happens when you wait till the last minute.

You will not be able to e-File after Oct 15th plus a few days leeway to correct REJECTED messages.

@yoshl 

@fanfare 
Not sure how this is last minute. I've been asking the crypto businesses for my tax documents for quite a while now and they kept reassuring me that they will email me the proper tax forms which they didn't.

Then I tried to get access to my IRS account more than a whole month before the deadline. 

They shouldn't force people to only use Id.me, a service that ambiguously locks people out without a way to regain access. I've never had these issues with IRS's log in system which was the other option besides Id.me

until this year. 
If Turbo Tax shuts down efiling, can I file to the best of my capabilities, overpay, and then later amend it?

If Turbo Tax shuts down efiling, can I file to the best of my capabilities, overpay, and then later amend it?

If you overpay, IRS gives you three years to file a correcting amendment.

@yoshl 

@fanfare Does Turbo Tax allow me to file amendments directly from TurboTax.com if I file as accurate as I can by the extension deadline?

If you don't want to be a late filer, you should file now.

after Oct 15 your amendment would have to be file on paper via US Mail.

If you can see definitively that you will get a tax refund, there won't be a penalty for late filing.

Still you will have to file on paper once e-File is shut down.

@yoshl 

Did you use the telephone number I posted to request a transcript?

If you did, your transcript would be on its way to you.

@yoshl 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies