turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zeyangwa

I can't access my e-trade account using the correct login information

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

If you happen to have a password with special characters for your brokerage account, it may cause problems on your investment import. The workaround is to change your password on the account to something without special characters, complete the import, then change it back to your original password.

You may also opt to type in the information manually.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LennyGATC
Returning Member

Thank you very much, that work around worked perfectly. E*Trade had no answer. No more pulling my hair out, hardly any left to begin with. Thanks again,

LennyGATC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did not work for me. I changed my Etrade password to just letters and numbers, and was able to login through a web browser. However I still could not login through TurboTax - it says "This import was unsuccessful."

I have over 500 transactions on my 1099-B - it's not feasible to just enter them manually. This is a major problem.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Did the broker break all the individual transactions into long term and short term groups for you?  Or did they category them into some sort of groups in the way that's convenient for you to sum them up between long term and short term?  If they did, you can manually enter them under the long term and short term settings.  

To enter them manually, here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in 1099b and Enter 
  • Select Jump to 1099b
  • Follow prompts
  • On-screen, "Let's import your tax info, select I'll type it myself
  • Follow prompts to continue

A Form 1099-B is issued to report the proceeds from your stocks and bonds transactions.  The transactions will generate either a long term or short term capital gain or loss depends on how long the stocks are being held.  The amount will be reported on line 7 of your Form 1040 along with a Schedule D and Form 8949.  

TB74
Level 2

I tried that, and it is far too confusing. Turbotax says that noncovered means the income was not reported to the IRS. The line I see on my form says noncovered, then says in the box called "proceeds/reported to IRS" a dollar amount. I cannot put in "not reported" (turbotax's uncovered) and also the box that says reported, because then the IRS will think I sold twice as much as I did! (I only sold 1 item.)

I looked at last year's completed tax return to see if I could figure it out and "it's all Greek to me." I can't make heads nor tails of it.

My password to e-trade has never had the special characters. Last year or the year before, when turbotax wouldn't connect with e-trade, it was because my forms hadn't come yet. I don't know what the problem is this time around. It's far too confusing to me to put it in manually. Isn't there a way your developers can look into it and see if there's a compatibility problem between the two sites?

TB74
Level 2

On another thread, it was pointed out that turbotax has the wrong url. It doesn't go to the login page. It was recommended to copy and paste the correct url which is https://us.etrade.com/e/t/user/login

The problem with this is that, unlike the person who successfully did it last year,  it didn't work for me. Instead, it only let me choose e-trade and when I did, the url was https://us.etrade.com/home and never connects even though etrade logged me out because, it said, I had logged in another way!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see my response to you on the other thread related to this issue. 

@TB74

This URL worked for me.

TB74
Level 2

I tried again a few days later and it worked fine. I think it had something to do with the documents just barely being available.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

We are happy to hear that it's working for you now. If you have more questions, you can reach out to us here.

@mikeblamenan  @TB74

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies