Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PATLYNCH

I can not enter my "State" in the Box. I live in Thailand and you do notg like TH. Also had trouble putting in Zip code as mine 43000 is not valid in US.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I can not enter my "State" in the Box. I live in Thailand and you do notg like TH. Also had trouble putting in Zip code as mine 43000 is not valid in US.

User spoke to Customer Support and was provided these instructions:

• Return to the My Info section and select the Edit next to your mailing address
  • Change the mailing address drop-down box from Foreign address back to US address
  • You may see part of your US address still there (i.e City Name) - remove any US entries still present
  • Change the drop-down box back to Foreign address from US address
  • Reenter your current foreign address and continue to file your return 
It sounds like some portion of a US address may have been stuck in the background, and the steps above allowed the My Info address section to be reset with the foreign address.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

First, we need to know what screens you are referring to.

Are you in the personal info section where it asks for your state of residency on December 31, 2018?   If so, I can give you screen images on how to do it.

As for zip code is that on the screen "Where do you get your mail?"
PATLYNCH

I get my mail in Nong Khai 43000 Thailand

You didn't answer my questions above.   I wasn't asking for your address.  I was asking which specific screens you are looking at.
PATLYNCH

I am looking at a demand in the Federal Review that I correct my 1099.
PATLYNCH

This is the Request "Form 1099-R (CHARLES SCHWAB & CO., INC.): Recipient state abbreviation is invalid. You must use standard U.S. postal abbreviations."

Please confirm that you are using online TurboTax and not desktop software (CD/download).

In the Online version, I see a way to enter a foreign address for the payer but not for the recipient.  It should transfer to the 1099-R from the screen you filled out for your mailing address in the My Info section.  I'll post a couple of screen images below.  Let me know if you filled them out correctly.
PATLYNCH

Yes I filled them out correctly.  For your info I have been a Turbo Tax Customer for several years and when I sign in it places my correct address and country in my address page.  I have not changed them and for several years I have not had this problem.

If it were me, I'd try deleting the Form 1099-R and re-entering it and see if that will reset anything and pull the correct info.

I'll also mention it to a Moderator and other SuperUsers who will see it.

One other thing.   How did you enter the Form 1099-R in the first place?   Did you enter it manually or did you import it from Charles Schwab?    If you imported it, I would delete it and enter it manually and see if that makes a difference.   If it were me, I'd delete it in any case and re-enter it.   You'll also need to re-answer the followup questions after the 1099-R entries.

I found a thread from a user last year who had a similar issue, but found a second Form 1099-R that had been started accidentally, and deleting the incomplete Form 1099-R solved his issue.   So when you go to delete your Form 1099-R, you should be able to tell if a second one has been started.
PATLYNCH

TurboTax downloaded the information from Charles Schwab.  If I attempted to enter it manually it is 11 pages of data.  I could do this but it would take a long time.  I spent a long time with a moderator on the phone last night (for me I live in Thailand).  Finally it took everything and said I was finished.  This is an E mail I received and it is what we finally did.  And it worked.  Pat Lynch

If you entered a Foreign Address and at one time had a US address in your information and are finding the US address remaining in the background during error check - try these steps to resolve this issue -    Return to the My Info section and select the edit next to your mailing address

Change the mailing address drop-down box from Foreign address back to US address

You may see part of your US address still there (i.e City Name) - remove any US entries still present

Change the drop-down box back to Foreign address from US address

Reenter your current foreign address and continue to file your return

So it sounds like some US entry was stuck in the background somewhere.  Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad you got it resolved.

I'll add those instructions to the answer section below since it may help someone else.

User spoke to Customer Support and was provided these instructions:

• Return to the My Info section and select the Edit next to your mailing address
  • Change the mailing address drop-down box from Foreign address back to US address
  • You may see part of your US address still there (i.e City Name) - remove any US entries still present
  • Change the drop-down box back to Foreign address from US address
  • Reenter your current foreign address and continue to file your return 
It sounds like some portion of a US address may have been stuck in the background, and the steps above allowed the My Info address section to be reset with the foreign address.

Is this the way you answered your mailing address screen?

If you're using online TurboTax (please confirm), and  your foreign address is  entered correctly on these screens, but is not transferring correctly to your 1099-R worksheet after reporting the 1099-R, then I'll ask a Moderator to look at this thread today.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies