Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought TurboTax on-line (Amazon) and I have tried setting up an Intuit account many times and can't do it. How do I prove that I already paid?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I bought TurboTax on-line (Amazon) and I have tried setting up an Intuit account many times and can't do it. How do I prove that I already paid?

Yes you can.  If you already started in the Online version you can move your return to the Desktop program even without paying for Online.  If you already paid for the Online version you can contact them to give you the program download.  

First download the .tax2018 file from the Online version,  
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300420

Then see, How to Switch to Desktop,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302260

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had.  So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - New)

Then you just OPEN the .tax2018 file, go up to File-Open.  You don't import or transfer it.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Yes you can.  If you already started in the Online version you can move your return to the Desktop program even without paying for Online.  If you already paid for the Online version you can contact them to give you the program download.  

First download the .tax2018 file from the Online version,  
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300420

Then see, How to Switch to Desktop,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302260

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had.  So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - New)

Then you just OPEN the .tax2018 file, go up to File-Open.  You don't import or transfer it.

If you purchased desktop software from Amazon--which is what Amazon sells--then you have no need to set up an online TurboTax account.  All you have to do is either install or download the program from Amazon to your own hard drive and open it up on your computer to use it.  No "logging in", no passwords, no user ID.

Open the program, update it if necessary, and go to File in the upper left corner of your screen and click New Tax Return.

It looks like you are posting from online TurboTax.  You need to let go of online TurboTax and use the software you purchased.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I may need to stand corrected.  I just saw that Amazon has some sort of offer online for TurboTax Live through Amazon--is that what you purchased?  Or did you purchase a CD/download?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I purchased the CD download

OK--my first answer stands.  Forget about using an online TT account.  No need at all.  

What are you trying to download that software to?  It has to be downloaded to a full PC or Mac--not a mobile device.  It cannot download to an iPad.

Will this help?  
Amazon article on how to download software,
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201380160">http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/...>

It's already downloaded to my computer. I had gone to turbo tax on my phone and enter all the information there. Didn't want to pay the 125 so I went to amazon and purchased through them. I just wanted to transfer all the info but I guess it can't be done. Thank you for responding
cadgrrl

Go to your Amazon Orders. They have a link in your account to your digital games and downloads that will show your license number. If you registered the software initially and enter the license number, Intuit should have it.

Use the pay by credit card option. That option will allow you to go into the account you set up when you first installed or to create a new account if you never registered the product.

Even though you may have already paid, you must step through that to finish up the TurboTax return with their software. You might find that you still need to pay the state filing cost, but have already paid for the Federal and State software and the Federal Filing cost with your purchase of the software. You need to use the credit card option, or you could phone and wait on hold for hours.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies