mswanicke

I bought a new gas grill, installed security cameras, had my carpets cleaned, and furnace inspected in preparation for renting my home, are those deductable?

I placed my property on Airbnb in November.  I'm looking to see if the specific items noted above are expensed.

MinhT

The costs incurred in preparing your home rental are not deductible. The new gas grilled and the security cameras can be capitalized and depreciated. Carpet cleaning and furnace inspection are not deductible.

Rental expenses start only on the date your home is put on the rental market.

MinhT