csstransportatio

I am unable to obtain the full ssn of a contractor for 10999. Seems that I am unable to file this electronically. What should I do?

LeeM

Unfortunately, you may not be able to efile a Form 1099-MISC without either an EIN or an SSN.

However, since you don’t have the SSN or EIN you need for completing your 1099-MISC, try to get this information from the payee before the filing deadline. If you can not get this information before the deadline, go ahead and enter all zeroes in the space where a SSN or EIN would go. This will trigger an alert with the IRS, and they’ll be in touch for clarification, but filing this way will allow you to hit your deadlines, even if your payee isn’t being helpful. Once you receive a letter from the IRS, you can provide the records you’ve kept showing you made reasonable attempts to collect the proper identification information. If there’s cause for a penalty in your case, your records will show you did everything required of you, and the IRS will go after the payee for that penalty.

The IRS form Reasonable Cause Regulations & Requirements for Missing and Incorrect Name/TINs has detailed information about the type of requests you should make, how often to make them (generally just once per year), and what records you should keep.

LeeM