Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hansz1121
Returning Member

I am trying to fill the Form 8615, there is a box needs parent's ssn, however, my parents are foreigners and they don't have ssn. What should I fill in this box?

I saw there is a question asked before, but it could not solve my problem.

As I tries to continue to the E-file, 8615 form keeps warning me to fix my parent's ssn, but they dont have any. I downloaded the file and hand written them and uploaded onto the website, but the website does not have any option for me to manually replace those file.

Is there any method I can do in order to finish my tax?

WeChat Image_20210225002827.pngWeChat Image_20210225002835.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I am trying to fill the Form 8615, there is a box needs parent's ssn, however, my parents are foreigners and they don't have ssn. What should I fill in this box?

The IRS apparently never considered the possibility of a U.S. citizen or resident alien who is required to file IRS Form 8615 and whose parents are foreign or do not file a  US tax return. The IRS does not provide any instructions or guidance for this situation.

The best that can be suggested is the following, with thanks to SuperUser, macuser_22, who suggested this approach.  To access IRS Form 8615 questions, follow these steps:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Tax Tools,
  • Click on Tools.
  • Click on Topic Search.
  • At the box I’m looking for, enter 8615.  Click Go.
  • At the screen Child’s Unearned Income, click Continue.
  • Answer the parent questions.  When TurboTax asks whether your parents are filing a joint tax return, answer Yes even though they aren't. That will eliminate the question with the three options for filing status.
  • When it asks for your parents' taxable income, enter zero. That is true, since they have no U.S. taxable income.
  • Leave all the other income questions blank.
  • Also leave your parent's Social Security Number blank.
  • When the error check tells you that the SSN must be entered, just click Continue. You will not be able to e-file. 
  • Print the tax return.
  • In the space for the parent's Social Security number on Form 8615, write NRA (for NonResident Alien).
  • File the return by mail.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies