turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to file both returns w/ my partner as a dependent (did not receive income in 2021) and need to fill out form 8962 (i.e. enter 1095-A contents) but cant do so

TT prompts don't provide opportunity for me to do so but federal and state were rejected
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am trying to file both returns w/ my partner as a dependent (did not receive income in 2021) and need to fill out form 8962 (i.e. enter 1095-A contents) but cant do so

1)  Turbotax online product only allows for filing one tax return per product registration.

2)  You mention claiming your partner as a dependent.  Since you did not say that they are your spouse, that may not be allowable by the IRS.

For details about who you can claim as a dependent see below.

3)  If you do claim your partner as a dependent, and when they file a tax return (if they need to) they need to ensure to check the personal information box that they can be claimed as a dependent on another person's return.

The rules regarding who is a dependent are available

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2021_publink[phone number removed]

At this site, on the left, click "Table 5. Overview of the Rules for Claiming a Dependent"

This explains whether or not you can claim them as a dependent.

I suggest you refer to https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2021_publink[phone number removed]

which explains rules for claiming a dependent.

Click on the blue "Dependent" link on the left side of the screen.

Also consult https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/overview_of_the_rules_for_claiming_4012.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

RaifH
Expert Alumni

To enter Form 1095-A in TurboTax:  

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Scroll down to Medical and Click Show More
  3. Click Start or Revisit next to the ACA

You can claim your partner if they are not anyone's qualifying child, you provided more than half their support, and they lived with you all 12 months of the year. This is in addition to them having no gross income. When you say both returns, I assume you mean you are filing your return with them listed as a dependent. Filing a return for your partner should not be required. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies