Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bonnied1
Returning Member

I am trying to efile my state 2023 return today. It offered to efile for $20 but I cannot get it to work

Has anyone else used this feature to efile a state 2023 return for $20? This is October so before the extension deadline.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I am trying to efile my state 2023 return today. It offered to efile for $20 but I cannot get it to work

Did you already file federal?  You can only efile state if federal was first efiled and accepted from the same return.  Oh, and the efile fee changed to  $25 on March 1.  

You may need to first update the federal status, you can't efile state unless Federal was efiled and accepted.  For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program. Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

did you successfully e-file federal or are doing both at the same time? You can't e-file a state return unless the federal has also been e-filed either at the same time or earlier.  

if you have already e-filed federal select mail for federal and e-file for state.

the issue may also be the Turbotax servers are under maintenance and you'll have to wait 'til Monday

if you got an error code or message please post it in this thread and we can tell you what it means.

Bonnied1
Returning Member

I have Turbotax desktop.

***My federal was extended and was efiled in July.

I mailed my state but they did not receive it.  I used Post office return receipt and certified.

I never had a receipt returned so the post office refunded me the cost :(

Now I have to get it there before the extension deadline next week.

I was going to print it out again, and there was an "offer" to efile the state

for only $20.  I pressed the icon and it did not do anything toward helping 

me efile my taxes.  How do I get it to work?

Bonnie

Bonnied1
Returning Member

Great, I was trying to avoid taking it down to our AZ dept of Revenue by hand

The federal was already filed.  I am trying to efile the state as it offered the efile 

for only $20 on my Desktop version.  I said great then I won't have to drive all

the way down there and drop it off. 

However when I click the icon, nothing happens, not even an error report.

Bonnie

Bonnied1
Returning Member

I guess it is not fruitful to try doing things like this on a weekend.

bonnie

Bonnied1
Returning Member

Is it true that I cannot even use the efile option after April 16?

Why does My TurboTax offer me a way to efile for only $20???

When I first filed, i checked mail my state return.

I tried to mail it but it never was received presumably lost in

the mail.  Now I would like to efile it instead.

Can I do that?  If I try on Monday?

Bonnie

You should be able to efile state or federal until Oct 15.  You can try calling support on Monday when they are open.

How to efile state after federal
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-e-file-my-state-after-i-already-filed-my-fede...

How to contact Turbo Tax
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies