turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am MFS. In "other income" why is TTax asking if I OR MY SPOUSE get any W-2s or investment income? I do not live in a community property state.

One of the main reasons I file separately is so I do not have to wait on my spouse for this kind of info.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am MFS. In "other income" why is TTax asking if I OR MY SPOUSE get any W-2s or investment income? I do not live in a community property state.

Did you file Joint for 2019?  If so, that question might be due to the calculation of Stimulus payments.

But be aware that MFS is almost always more costly taxwise than MFJ.  You can always file for an extension, and pay any estimated tax due. If you normally get a refund, consider changing your withholding.

Thanks. We have never filed jointly.  I am going to assume that as MFS, I do not have to include that info.  I pulled a chunk out of and IRA at a low rate for this year, and I do not want to risk an error in the TTax forms to mess that up.

And I've done the side-by-side MFS vs MFJ (little or no diff in my case) and I want to stick with sep for now.  Plus I would rather pay more taxes than have to "extract" that info from my spouse who always files late 😉

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies