turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am married to an illegal immigrant and all he has is a TIN number. I do support him. Shall I claim him or file together?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am married to an illegal immigrant and all he has is a TIN number. I do support him. Shall I claim him or file together?

It depends.  However, the fact that he does not have a social security number does not change your filing status if he was present in the U.S. for at least 6 months out of the year.  You are considered married for tax purposes and should file either Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.  Unless you lived separately for more than 6 months, you cannot file as Head of Household or single.  He is not considered your dependent, but either a co-declarer or an independent declarer (if you file separate returns).

Having said that, there are some limitations when a spouse has an ITIN versus a social security number.  The biggest of these is that a married couple cannot claim Earned Income Credit (EIC) when either spouse files with an ITIN.  Likewise, EIC is also not available to anyone using the filing status of Married Filing Separately.  For this reason, it is still typically more advantageous to file Married Filing Jointly.  Please see this FAQ for more information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288477

For more information on filing a return using an ITIN, please click on link for this IRS website:  ITIN

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
slsaisabs

What if a citizen and non documented person married in December? Would that count as having living apart for six months?

If you were married in december and lived at least one day together then your ONLY filing status options are married filing jointly  or   married filing separately.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies