Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

turbokty

I am married filing separately: both of us are using itemized deduction on federal. Can we take standard deduction for New York State?

This is what NY State rules say:

'If you are married and filing separate returns (filing status ?), both of you must take the standard deduction unless both of you itemized deductions on your federal returns and both of you elect to itemize deductions on your New York returns."

I can't quite figure out what this means.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
kw8899

I am married filing separately: both of us are using itemized deduction on federal. Can we take standard deduction for New York State?

What if spouse files in New Jersey where there is no itemizing or standard deduction, if we both use itemized deduction on federal, would I still be able to take the NY standard deduction?
SusanH

Yes, you can use the New York standard deduction.

This says that is you're married filing separately that you have to use the New York standard deduction unless you itemized on your federal return and you both agree to itemize your New York return.

In real people language... the default is that you have to use the standard deduction if filing separately. You can decide to itemize but only if you itemized on your federal return and only if both of you agree to itemize on New York.

Same question: but for CA.
I am married filing separately: both of us are using itemized deduction on federal. Can we take standard deduction for California state?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies