turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amc1087

I am mandated to e-file NYS Tax Return, but can't w/o e-filing federal return...yet I am ineligible to e-file my federal so how am I supposed to do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I am mandated to e-file NYS Tax Return, but can't w/o e-filing federal return...yet I am ineligible to e-file my federal so how am I supposed to do that?

You may file a NY state tax return by mail.

Per the following link, https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efile_mandate_for_individuals.htm:

"You're required to electronically file your return if you meet all three of the following conditions:

• you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return;
  • your software supports the electronic filing of your return; and
  • you have broadband Internet access."

However, if the software does not allow you to e-file, the second condition has not been met.

Further, the New York Department of Taxation and Finance removed the penalty so you may file a NY state tax return by mail (see page 35: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it201i.pdf). Please review the following link for more information: Is there a penalty if I don't e-file my New York return?

To print and file your tax return(s) by mail using TurboTax Online, please review the following link and the link(s) embedded on the webpage(s) for more information: How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?

I have a Customer using a Mac computer and he is Not getting the option to e-file New York State return, I have checked and cannot find a resolution.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Here is a link with some discussion on the subject of e-filing a NY state return.  Try signing out of TurboTax and restarting computer and then signing back in.  This may be a possible solution as well.   If these don't help, check for the option to print. That is the fallback option and there will be no penalty from NY for mailing it in.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rh61
Level 2

your mandated to efile, but there are no penalties for not doing so for individual tax payers. There are penalties for preparers. See the enclosed

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/notices/n12_4.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies