Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am filling out injured spouse form 8379 and am confused on lines number 17 and 20. What lines on my 1040 can I find the correct numbers. Also, exemptions are 0 now?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I am filling out injured spouse form 8379 and am confused on lines number 17 and 20. What lines on my 1040 can I find the correct numbers. Also, exemptions are 0 now?

Yes, exemptions are 0 now.  That was part of the tax reform changes.

Line 17 on Form 8379 refers to credits.  Credits will include both line 12 and line 17 on Form 1040, except for the Earned Income Credit that is a part of line 17a if applicable.  You may need to look at Schedule 3 of Form 1040 to see more detail about the credits shown on line 12 if there is an 'x' in the box on line 12b.

Line 20 on Form 8379 refers to payments.  Payments will include the amount on line 17 of Form 1040 that is reported on Schedule 5 of Form 1040.  The most common payment would be if estimated payments were made for the tax year. 

Do you mean line 17 of the schedule 5 sheet or the 1040 that is actually submitted? Because on the submitted 1040 my line 17 is federal income tax withheld and I can’t seem to find a schedule 5 sheet. 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Line 17,column a, on Form 8379 is the sum of:  Schedule 3, line 7 and line 18b of the form 1040 from the original filed return. 

Line 20, column a, is derived by starting with Schedule 3, line 14 and subtracting the following,

tax withheld (line 17 1040)

EIC (line 18a 1040),

Excess SS, (Schedule 3, line 11)

Add'l child tax credit (line 18b 1040)    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies