turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrsyamo

I am filing 1099-misc for independent contract work. Turbo Tax keeps asking me for my business info, and it is not my business.

Each time I try to go back and ONLY enter the 1099-MISC info, it starts asking me questions about self-employment and my business, which it is not.  How do I do it properly?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

I am filing 1099-misc for independent contract work. Turbo Tax keeps asking me for my business info, and it is not my business.

If you received a 1099-Misc for contract work and the amount you received is entered in Box 7, Non Employee Compensation , you are considered to be self-employed.  Your business can just be your name, address, and social security number.  

TurboTax will prepare a Schedule C for Self-Employment to be included in your tax return.  You can then deduct any expenses associated with earning this income (mileage, supplies, etc.)  and will be assessed self-employment tax.

If this was a one-time project and you don't plan to do this type of work in the future, you could ask the Payor to issue you a corrected 1099-Misc with the amount in Box 3.

Here's some tips for self-employment you may find helpful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies