Level 11

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you received a 1099-Misc for contract work and the amount you received is entered in Box 7, Non Employee Compensation , you are considered to be self-employed.  Your business can just be your name, address, and social security number.  

TurboTax will prepare a Schedule C for Self-Employment to be included in your tax return.  You can then deduct any expenses associated with earning this income (mileage, supplies, etc.)  and will be assessed self-employment tax.

If this was a one-time project and you don't plan to do this type of work in the future, you could ask the Payor to issue you a corrected 1099-Misc with the amount in Box 3.

Here's some tips for self-employment you may find helpful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"