• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hsubagiyo

I am embassy's employee and I dont receive W2. How to file my tax return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Level 4

You file on Schedule C.  According to the IRS:

If you are a U.S. citizen working in the United States for a foreign government or international organization, you must report this compensation as wages on Form 1040 and pay self-employment tax on the compensation under the Self-Employment Contributions Act (SECA). Self-employment tax is computed on Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax, and is also reported on Form 1040. Although you are subject to self-employment tax on this employee compensation, you are not "self-employed" for any other federal tax purposes. You may not claim deductions for expenses on Schedule C and are not qualified to establish a Simplified Employee Pension (SEP) Plan and there is no allowable deduction for contributions to any such plan.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DDollar
Level 4

You file on Schedule C.  According to the IRS:

If you are a U.S. citizen working in the United States for a foreign government or international organization, you must report this compensation as wages on Form 1040 and pay self-employment tax on the compensation under the Self-Employment Contributions Act (SECA). Self-employment tax is computed on Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax, and is also reported on Form 1040. Although you are subject to self-employment tax on this employee compensation, you are not "self-employed" for any other federal tax purposes. You may not claim deductions for expenses on Schedule C and are not qualified to establish a Simplified Employee Pension (SEP) Plan and there is no allowable deduction for contributions to any such plan.

hsubagiyo

Thank you for your respond. Yes, I am US Citizen working in the US for a foreign embassy. Does TurboTax provide Schedule SE? Please assist me and correct me if I am wrong. In TurboTax, I should go to Federal -> go to Self Employment income and expenses (usually in turbo tax shows 1099) -> When the turbo tax ask what type of self employment, I should type / work in foreign embassy in The US - > at this section, I only need to put what is my total income only in 1 year, no expenses / deduction. Turbo tax will adjust to Schedule SE after I submit and file this tax return. Am I correct or do you have anything to say or correct me if I am wrong.
DDollar
Level 4

You have it correct.  TurboTax will create a Schedule SE and everything will flow to where it is supposed to go.
hsubagiyo

Thank you so much David for your help. You answer my questions very clear.
DDollar
Level 4

You're welcome.  Thanks for using TurboTax!!
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v