Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am done with TurboTax

I am done with TurboTax. Just got an email that they no longer would provide TurboTax on CD. I do not like nor will I download a product online. I feel more comfortable with the CD. I have been ripped off too many times on downloads that didn't finish and could not get a refund or download a second time. TurboTax, you just lost a customer. I hope you lose many more. I have been a customer for over 25 years, but more and more, you make it more difficult to use your product and not providing a CD version is the last straw. Goodbye.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am done with TurboTax

OK. My rant is over. People have posted a lot of good points, especially the one about laptops no longer having CD drives, which is a total shame in my humble opinion. Yes, times change and I hate to see the change in so many ways. But utilitarianism (the greatest good for the greatest number) has prevailed. I WILL download for 2024 and give it a try before going back to pencil and paper and US Mail for filing my return. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I am done with TurboTax

During the years that you have been using the CD, have you been aware that every update was being downloaded, and that the state software was being downloaded?   The CD that was released in the beginning of the tax season always required lots of updates---all downloaded-- to provide you with the updated forms from the IRS and states.  Fewer and fewer users have computers with disc drives, so downloading the software is more efficient.

Or—-Use this IRS site for ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

Or—if you live in certain states you may be eligible to use the new IRS Direct File

( AZ, CA, FL, MA, NH, NV, NY, SD, TN, TX, WA, WY )

https://directfile.irs.gov/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am done with TurboTax

@Jimnkim wrote:
....I feel more comfortable with the CD. I have been ripped off too many times on downloads that didn't finish and could not get a refund or download a second time. TurboTax, you just lost a customer....

I understand your concern, but there is a problem; absolutely no other DIY, consumer-level, income tax preparation software is available on CD or other type of media. 

Every other consumer-level income tax preparation software company requires preparing returns online or downloading installation files. H&R Block, for example, was one of the last to offer a CD but they are removing that option for the 2024 tax year (download only now).

If you do some research, you'll probably end up back here with TurboTax.

I am done with TurboTax

I always bought the CD from Costco.  But last year for 2023 I bought the download from Costco online.  I have Windows 10. Here's how mine went.

I got the activation email in 20 minutes.

I clicked on the link in  the email, then chose PC Download.  It automatically went to my Downloads folder.

I double clicked on the file to to install it.  It installed FAST! It launched and updated.  Hasn't asked for the Activation code yet.  It said to continue but nothing happened.

So I clicked on the Desktop Icon - got a sign in box.  Had to log into my Turbo Tax account.  They emailed me a code to verify me.  

Then got the Activation box and entered the 16 digit code and was in.  Actually I just copied and pasted it from the email.

This year I filled in the registration box so it should stop asking me every time I launch it.

For 2022…..

I bought the CD from Costco.  But I used the download method instead.   It has more advantages over CD.  Then you can also download it another computer. Once you install the CD you can't install it again like if you need to reinstall the program or install on a different computer.

I am done with TurboTax

That's up to you.  However, there are several download options (direct from Turbotax, Amazon, etc.), and once you have the purchase registered, you have as many times to try the download as you need, there are no limits on the number of downloads.  (There is a limit on the number of activations, but that's different.) 

I am done with TurboTax

And, of course, if you buy the download from TTX, any later downloads of the full installation file that you might make....those contain all of the most recent updates, so it is no longer the initial "beta" file that is issued in Nov-Dec.  I downloaded the full installation file for the 6th time just a few days ago.  I don't expect to need them, but I might get a new computer and would use a new installation .exe file to install there.

(don't know if 3rd party sellers use fully updated installation files if downloaded later)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I am done with TurboTax

I have installed the CD on three different computers for several years. No problem what so ever. Even with the CD I had hassles with using TurboTax. I am tired of the hassles, and I just know for certain that without having a product in hand, I will have more troubles. I will switch to another company. I buy the program, therefore I own the program, I should not have to jump through unnecessary hoops to use something I have bought. I am tired of it.

I am done with TurboTax

@Jimnkim wrote:

...I will switch to another company....

"Switch to another company"? Which one?

Did you read my post above? No other company offers a consumer-level income tax preparation program on a CD or any other type of media; it's either download and install or prepare online. 

You can switch, of course, and I couldn't care less, frankly, but you won't find what you seek.

I am done with TurboTax

I seek the friendly TurboTax of old!!!

I am done with TurboTax

@Jimnkim wrote:

Understood and I can empathize on a number of different levels but, unfortunately in many instances, times change and we need to adapt. 

For 2024, just try the TurboTax download from one of the vendors suggested in this thread; Costco (if you're a member), Amazon, or directly from Intuit. The procedure is fairly painless and you'll be fine. 

I am done with TurboTax

@Jimnkim wrote:

I remember Turbotax when it was MacInTax, and I was probably using it on a Mac LC III.  Times change.  

I am done with TurboTax

OK. My rant is over. People have posted a lot of good points, especially the one about laptops no longer having CD drives, which is a total shame in my humble opinion. Yes, times change and I hate to see the change in so many ways. But utilitarianism (the greatest good for the greatest number) has prevailed. I WILL download for 2024 and give it a try before going back to pencil and paper and US Mail for filing my return. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  

I am done with TurboTax

I bought a window 11 Pro PC i7, ITBSSD & 32GB Ram in Feb 2020 made by Lenovo from Neweggs.  It came with a disc drive too. 

So I had no problem using CD. 

Since TT goes for downloaded version and that effectively save them big bucks.  They should offer $5 less for 2024. 

I believe you can purchase a portable CD Rom with USB connection.

I am done with TurboTax

@SLYKTAX wrote:

I believe you can purchase a portable CD Rom with USB connection.

Sure you can, but you can't purchase consumer-level income tax preparation software on a CD; it's either online preparation or download now.

I am done with TurboTax

@SLYKTAX a blank CD in packs of 100 costs less than $ .30 each. of course, Intuit saves the manufacturing and some shipping costs. against that are higher costs because of more server and internet use. It also has other costs that increase yearly such as comp for their staff (forget the execs), phone service, utilities, .....

not that I feel sorry for a company whose profit went from about $2.4 billion in '23 to $3.2 billion in '24  

earnings per share for same periods about $8.40 to $10.40

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies