turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected:"The Primary SSN in the Return Header has been locked because SSA records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual." How do I correct the "header"?

This is the first return just in my name after my husband passed away in 2017. 

I removed his data from the old return's personal section, but the return was still rejected: The Primary SSN in the Return Header has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual. 

How do I correct the "header" of the return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Rejected:"The Primary SSN in the Return Header has been locked because SSA records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual." How do I correct the "header"?

It is recommended that you start a new account rather than continuing to use an old account, for this reason.  It is usually possible to remove all traces of a spouse using Turbotax Desktop version installed on your own computer, by directly editing the worksheets, but you can't edit the worksheets in the online version.

I don't know if customer service could remove the information if you called them.  It is recommended that you create a new account and start over.

Thank you! I thought of this as an option, but wanted to keep in the returns all the old info available...

Unfortunately that is very difficult.  Possibly doable in the desktop version, but not online without help, and maybe not even then.

I am currently abroad. Tried to call support, but get cut off all the time and can't reach a human. Any phone number to reach a human?

I asked a moderator to reach out to you, probably by email at first.  But I would not be surprised if the answer was still "make a new account and start over."  They can provide a code so that you won't have to pay again.

I appreciate your help greatly!  How do you ask a moderator for help?

Volunteers on this board who are identified as "super users" have a back channel.  Other users who are identified as "Turbotax employee" have a direct channel of course, but there is no way to know who will grab any particular question to answer it.  And the Turbotax employees are only here from Feb 1 through April 20, the rest of the year its all volunteer.

Thank you again.

Hi @rosaensign first of all I'm sorry for your loss, we appreciate you took the time to reach out to us. The answer provided by @Opus 17 is correct, you will have to create a new account. Please feel free to let me know if you any more questions.

Thank you, Mariana! I did create a new account and prepared the return. How can I e-file the return from the new account without paying a second time?

@TurboTaxMarianaC can you help with this too?

Ordinarily, you would call customer support to transfer the payment.  Perhaps we can save you a long wait on hold.

Already waited so long (this evening) after I have reached a human being from Turbotax support, that it cost me more than the payment itself! And they could not resolve my problem. Very disappointed! Giving up and paying a second time... Special thanks to Opus17 : may God bless you!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies