turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099c cancellation of debt student loan - who should file? Parent or child?

As co-signer on kids' ed loans, they and I both received a 1099-C for Cancellation of debt. Which one of us should do the filing and how will IRS know which is right and proper?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
FaithY
Expert Alumni

The child should file the 1099-C because the child is the debtor. The co-signing parent is a guarantor not a debtor according to the IRS (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.6050P-1)

The co-signing parent should not have gotten a 1099-C and you should contact the creditor and ask for a corrected 1099-C. If the creditor refuses to correct the 1099-C issued to the co-signing parent, the cosigner will need to attach a note to the tax return with an explanation.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
FaithY
Expert Alumni

The child should file the 1099-C because the child is the debtor. The co-signing parent is a guarantor not a debtor according to the IRS (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.6050P-1)

The co-signing parent should not have gotten a 1099-C and you should contact the creditor and ask for a corrected 1099-C. If the creditor refuses to correct the 1099-C issued to the co-signing parent, the cosigner will need to attach a note to the tax return with an explanation.

Do i not put it on my tax return as income? Do i send in a paper copy with a note?..

I am curious about this, as well.

Should I include the 1099-C as income and attach a letter. Then file a amended return ?
Bluebonnet58
Returning Member

I need help filling out the form 982.  The 1099-C that I received was issued for the student loan (for my loan) for my sons education.  He has passed away and the loan has been forgiven.    I have the letter from Navient and the letter that I sent to them regarding the loan and his death certificate.  I will be sending these documents with the form.  Any assistants will be greatly appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies