ksatterfieldtaxe

I am caring for my father with Dementia. He has lived with me the last two years. Last December I had to buy a new home to accommodate his needs. What can I claim?

DianeW

As a home owner you can claim the mortgage interest and property taxes, also any points if applicable.

Specific medical costs for your father's care could be deducted as an itemized deduction if you are allowed to claim your father as a dependent for tax purposes.  The rules for a Qualifying Relative are shown below for your convenience.

Medical expenses are allowed as a deduction for yourself, your spouse and your dependents if the total amount of medical expense is greater than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI) and you can itemize deductions.

DianeW