turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

spgrim

I am a truck driver and was fined for a traffic violation and went to court. I am reading that legal fees for employment is deductible. are there any restrictions to this

I am a truck driver and was fined for a traffic violation for being overweight on a bridge and went to court. Turbo task guidance section under eligible expenses lists "Court costs and attorney fees related to either doing or keeping your job" so this feels like it definitely applies.  Are there any restrictions or other rules that would override this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I am a truck driver and was fined for a traffic violation and went to court. I am reading that legal fees for employment is deductible. are there any restrictions to this

Unfortunately, no.

According to IRS rules, you may not deduct any fines you have to pay for moving violations or other civil infractions such as parking fines or tickets for failure to property maintain the vehicle. You may deduct legal fees and court costs associated with defending yourself in court as a business expense. If your license is suspended and you have to reinstate it, you may not deduct the fees associated with that process. The IRS allows you only to deduct expenses that are necessary for your income-producing activity, and speeding tickets do not qualify.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies