turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2017 return printed with estimated tax payments for next year. It printed four payment vouchers. I didn't ask for this. Am I obligated to make these four estimated

payments and if so how do I correct it? There is no reason for me to be making estimated payments on next years return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 2017 return printed with estimated tax payments for next year. It printed four payment vouchers. I didn't ask for this. Am I obligated to make these four estimated

If you do not wish to make the estimated payments, do not send them.  The estimated form is not a part of your 2017 filing and the IRS will not expect them.

However, if you do end up owing the IRS in 2018, they may penalize you for not filing your estimated tax forms.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you do not wish to make the estimated payments, do not send them.  The estimated form is not a part of your 2017 filing and the IRS will not expect them.

However, if you do end up owing the IRS in 2018, they may penalize you for not filing your estimated tax forms.

lohero

I also had estimated payment vouchers, but instead of realizing that's what they were, I sent them in as my 2017 payments. My state didn't credit them as such, so now I owe penalties. This optional payment should be clearer. It shows up much earlier in the printed form than the actual payment voucher that I should have paid.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies