Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Husband & Wife filing jointly, LLC with two Schedule K-1 forms, Combining businesses (aggregation)

• Husband & wife filing jointly
  • Owning an LLC (unequal ownership 45%, 55%), named XYZ
  • Working on entering two Schedule K-1 (1065) forms for the XYZ LLC (from TT Business)

When entering the second Schedule K-1, I get asked "Should XYZ LLC be treated as part of a combined business?", where "XYZ LLC" is listed as one of the existing options (from the first Schedule K-1 that was entered). Intuitive answer to me is yes, and then I select the listed XYZ LLC and asked to be combined with it (I've exercised this path, but haven't filed yet), which then asks me to explain why these "two businesses" are eligible to be combined.

It seems odd to me, that married joint filers who also jointly own an LLC need to explain why their "two businesses" can be combined (for better QBI deduction I assume). Does this sound right? Is this the expected way to enter this information. This should be a common scenario for many.     

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Husband & Wife filing jointly, LLC with two Schedule K-1 forms, Combining businesses (aggregation)

You are over thinking this ... the program will ask this for everyone since the program is used by many folks with different circumstances and it cannot assume anything.  What if the K-1 forms came from different businesses ... aggregating may not be advised or wanted so the program asks everytime.  Just indicate yes if you wish them to be aggregated and move on. 

Still doesn't sound right. This leads to Schedule B (Form 8995-A, "Aggregation of Business Operation"), and name of business changes to "Aggregation 1" instead of simple XYZ, LLC. I doubt someone who is not using TT to file will end up with this structure.

Anyone else care to comment. What's the proper way to file with a jointly owned LLC in or outside TT.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies