turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ACM9
Level 1

How to use 2023 TurboTax premium online for second user

I completed my personal tax online and at submission paid for 5 user Premium TurboTax. I have the order number I received at payment. How can my daughter use it as second user? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You are confused.   With online TurboTax you get one return per fee.  Each user needs their own account and user ID.   It is with the CD/download (desktop) software that you get five federal e-files.   Online TurboTax is web-based----all of your files are stored online.  If you use the CD/download, all of your files are stored locally on your own hard drive.   

If you purchased the CD/download then you should have a sixteen digit license key.  Do you have a license key?

We see people get confused and they keep logging in to online software which will require them to pay at the end.   You need to use the desktop software.   One way to tell if you are using the right software---your tool bar.   Online software has the toolbar in a black vertical column on the left side of the screen.   Desktop software has the tools up on the top of your TT screen.

You appear to be posting from online software instead of the desktop CD/download software that the license code is for.  If you are using online, you are using the wrong program.  You need to switch to the desktop software to get what you paid for.  You have to download it, update it and open it up from your own hard drive to use it.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

And.....the names of the online software versions are Basic, Deluxe, and Premium.

The names of the desktop (CD/download) software versions are Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home and Business.

You say you paid for Premium----which is an online software version, with which you get one return per fee.  You pay separate fees for federal and state return when you use online.

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You are confused.   With online TurboTax you get one return per fee.  Each user needs their own account and user ID.   It is with the CD/download (desktop) software that you get five federal e-files.   Online TurboTax is web-based----all of your files are stored online.  If you use the CD/download, all of your files are stored locally on your own hard drive.   

If you purchased the CD/download then you should have a sixteen digit license key.  Do you have a license key?

We see people get confused and they keep logging in to online software which will require them to pay at the end.   You need to use the desktop software.   One way to tell if you are using the right software---your tool bar.   Online software has the toolbar in a black vertical column on the left side of the screen.   Desktop software has the tools up on the top of your TT screen.

You appear to be posting from online software instead of the desktop CD/download software that the license code is for.  If you are using online, you are using the wrong program.  You need to switch to the desktop software to get what you paid for.  You have to download it, update it and open it up from your own hard drive to use it.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

And.....the names of the online software versions are Basic, Deluxe, and Premium.

The names of the desktop (CD/download) software versions are Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home and Business.

You say you paid for Premium----which is an online software version, with which you get one return per fee.  You pay separate fees for federal and state return when you use online.

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

ACM9
Level 1

Very helpful to know that there is this fake difference meant to confuse customers. Thank you very much for the clarification. 

Online and Desktop are two different programs.  They are used by different users in different ways.  Some users prefer to have the desktop version because they want to be able to see the forms as they work on them.  They also want to be able to do more than one return.  Most users are only doing their own taxes and prefer the convenience of the online version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies