turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report options subject to 1256 reporting

Hi,

I am not sure how to report options subject to 1256 reporting. I only bought and sold one option contract (VIX), and it was sold at a loss:

image.png

When going through TurboTax online, I get asked the following questions:
1. Any Straddles or Section 1256 Contracts?
- I select "Yes" for this

2. Any elections?
image.png

- I am not sure which option to select or should be left empty/unchecked?

3. If left empty/unchecked, the next question is the following screenshot:
image.png

- Again, not sure which option to select but I think it should be "Section 1256 contracts marked to market" since the VIX option contract was sold at a loss?

4. If I select "Section 1256 contracts marked to market", then the next question is the following screenshot:
image.png

- I only trade using one brokerage account under one broker, so for this question, I believe I would select the first option "I'll report the totals from each broker or account"

5. The next part is to enter the total section 1256 contract profits and losses for that broker or account:image.png

- For "Broker name", I believe I would enter "Charles Schwab" (I believe this is used by TurboTax to separate different broker's when shown to the user) and for "Account Description", I believe I would enter "Charles Schwab & Co., Inc." as this is how it is shown on the "Payer's Name and Address" of the tax document generated by Schwab. I would leave "Total Profits" empty since there is no gain and put "-46.60" for "Total Losses" (looks like TurboTax does not let me put a decimal point to include ".60"? So should I round down or up?). And for "Special Handling", I believe it would be "None of the above"?

Last question, would the VIX contract also be reported on Form 8949 but that would require having information such as option contract purchase date, date sold, proceeds, and cost basis?

Thank you in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Were you able to resolve your issue here or are you still needing guidance? 

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies