Solved: How to - married - joint filing ?

billdane1938

How to - married - joint filing ?

How to - married - joint filing ?

KrisD

How to - married - joint filing ?

If you are asking how to file a "Married Filing Jointly" return in TurboTax, one of you will start the return. If one of you used TurboTax last year, that person can use their account to start. If you both used TurboTax last year, only one of you can keep the account from last year. 

As you begin answering the interview questions in the "My Info" section, you will report that you are married and start a joint return. 

All documents for both or you are reported on one return and you both share all dependents you may have between the two of you.

The two of you are considered as one taxpayer on a Federal tax return. 

Filing "Married Filing Jointly" is usually better for the taxpayer than filing "Married Filing Separately" unless there is a particular reason not to file jointly. 

KrisD

How to - married - joint filing ?

lum-joan

How to - married - joint filing ?

If two single people have carryovers from previous years (capital loss and/or ISO exercised from previous years) how does is info entered in first year we marry and use joint?  I started with my Turbotax account, and now the carryovers from my spouse's account (from when he was single) have no way to get entered since they happened in previous years.  Only MY carryovers are still showing.  How can I enter his carryovers from several years ago?