turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to - married - joint filing ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If you are asking how to file a "Married Filing Jointly" return in TurboTax, one of you will start the return. If one of you used TurboTax last year, that person can use their account to start. If you both used TurboTax last year, only one of you can keep the account from last year. 

As you begin answering the interview questions in the "My Info" section, you will report that you are married and start a joint return. 

All documents for both or you are reported on one return and you both share all dependents you may have between the two of you.

The two of you are considered as one taxpayer on a Federal tax return. 

Filing "Married Filing Jointly" is usually better for the taxpayer than filing "Married Filing Separately" unless there is a particular reason not to file jointly. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If you are asking how to file a "Married Filing Jointly" return in TurboTax, one of you will start the return. If one of you used TurboTax last year, that person can use their account to start. If you both used TurboTax last year, only one of you can keep the account from last year. 

As you begin answering the interview questions in the "My Info" section, you will report that you are married and start a joint return. 

All documents for both or you are reported on one return and you both share all dependents you may have between the two of you.

The two of you are considered as one taxpayer on a Federal tax return. 

Filing "Married Filing Jointly" is usually better for the taxpayer than filing "Married Filing Separately" unless there is a particular reason not to file jointly. 

lum-joan

If two single people have carryovers from previous years (capital loss and/or ISO exercised from previous years) how does is info entered in first year we marry and use joint?  I started with my Turbotax account, and now the carryovers from my spouse's account (from when he was single) have no way to get entered since they happened in previous years.  Only MY carryovers are still showing.  How can I enter his carryovers from several years ago?

I filed jointly last year with turbo tax and I wish to do the same this year

denaas

Did you every get a response?  I need to do that, too!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Enter that under 

Income

Investment Income

Capital Loss Carryover

You may need to add or adjust the additional carry-over amount to your own.

"(b) From separate to joint return. If a husband and wife, making a joint return for any taxable year, did not make a joint return for any of the taxable years involved in the computation of a net operating loss carryover or a net operating loss carryback to the taxable year for which the joint return is made, such separate net operating loss carryover or separate net operating loss carryback is a joint net operating loss carryover or joint net operating loss carryback to such taxable year."

Cornell Law

@MaryBuck59

@denaas

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies