Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to input 1099-MISC for NY Paid Family Leave

Hi,

I received PFL from UNUM for maternity leave and 1099-MISC. But it was categorized into "Self-employment income and expenses"  under wages and income, and asked me questions like did I hire anyone, where was my business etc.

I found previously asked question, but the answer does not apply now. There is no "Other Common Income section" under Federal > Wages & Income any more

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/1099-misc-for-ny-paid-familky-leave/00/1260346

Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

There is Other Common Income in TurboTax Online.  You will need to delete the 1099-MISC you have entered and enter it again.  To do this please follow these steps:

1. Within the Federal portion of your tax return in TurboTax Online go to the Income & Expenses section
  2. Click Edit/Add for your 1099-MISC
  3. Click Delete and confirm it
  4. Click Done to go back to Your Income & Expenses
  5. Scroll down the Your Income & Expenses screen until you see Other Common Income and click Show more
  6. Choose the Start on the 1099-MISC line
  7. Enter the info from your form into the corresponding boxes
    • If you need to enter boxes 4–6 or 8–17, check My form has other info in boxes 1–17
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax Desktop: follow these instructions so that you don't have self-employment income

Go to Wages & Income

• 1099-MISC and Other Common Income
  • Income from 1099-MISC, Start
  • Enter info from 1099-MISC
  • Does one of these uncommon situations apply?, Check None of these apply and Continue
  • Did the __  involve work that's like your main job?, Check, No, it didn't involve work like my main job and Continue
  • How often did you get income for __?. I got it in 2021 and Continue,
  • Did the __ involve an intent to earn money, Check, No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money., Continue

Thanks for reply.

I was using TurboTax online, seems your answer does not apply to online version. So are they different? Am I supposed to use Desktop because this "special" need?

Thanks again.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

There is Other Common Income in TurboTax Online.  You will need to delete the 1099-MISC you have entered and enter it again.  To do this please follow these steps:

1. Within the Federal portion of your tax return in TurboTax Online go to the Income & Expenses section
  2. Click Edit/Add for your 1099-MISC
  3. Click Delete and confirm it
  4. Click Done to go back to Your Income & Expenses
  5. Scroll down the Your Income & Expenses screen until you see Other Common Income and click Show more
  6. Choose the Start on the 1099-MISC line
  7. Enter the info from your form into the corresponding boxes
    • If you need to enter boxes 4–6 or 8–17, check My form has other info in boxes 1–17

Thank you very much for the detailed description.

Cindy0259

I input the 1099-Misc as described but it still shows up under Business Income section and when I do the review it asks me for a Business Code - How do I make it so it doesn't show up in both places?

DGorski08

I just want you to know how frustrating this is. It just took me OVER AN HOUR to figure out how to enter this form without it defaulting to "self employment". All because my wife received maternity leave for 2021-2022, so when I checked the box corresponding to "How long did you receive this income" for both years, it did not bring up the option to select "This was not with the intent to earn money" which by the way is a rediculous way to characterize this. Shouldn't need to follow a step by step guide for something so mundane. This will be the last year I use turbotax and I will be reccomending EVERYONE I know use an alternative situation. This isn't the only form that was buggy either. There have been multiple other sections that are unlcear how to proceed and no good help, almost like they are pushing you to get the upgrade for the tax professionals - AKA guides to using the software because its so poorly designed. Sorry, not paying $100+ to use your bad software. 

Sjstef7

This is the answer. Thank you. I got stuck in the stupid loop as well since I received NYS PFL in both years. Only select "____ received this money in 2022" - otherwise you will not get the option to select "this was not with the intent to earn money" and end up while reviewing, trying to figure out how to get rid of Schedule C.

nickdl

Thank you!!! I have spent probably two hours trying to figure this out

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies