Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

How to get out of Free File program

@taxmo - the instructions given previously by mesquitebean will not work as the ability to switch between the two is currently unavailable.  You will need to start a new return at TurboTax.com

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

All, I was able to switch back after I did all the steps listed by @mesquitebean AND I switched from Chrome to Safari (I promise to switch back to Chrome for everything after I'm done with my taxes).

@taxmo wrote:

All, I was able to switch back after I did all the steps listed by @mesquitebean AND I switched from Chrome to Safari (I promise to switch back to Chrome for everything after I'm done with my taxes).

Good news!   I don't know if there was something particular to your Chrome browser that was preventing it, or perhaps a retained cached page/cookie that was obviated by using a different browser, but in any case glad that switching browsers allowed you to successfully use the steps I listed to make the switch back.   Thanks for reporting back. 

Several users have reported success with those steps in this and other threads.   But even if one were to continue to be unsuccessful, all is not lost.   To avoid having to start over one could download the *.tax2019 data file from the TurboTax IRS Free File Program and open it in purchased and installed TurboTax desktop software (CD/download) to continue and file the return.

I'm having the same problem, when I've never had a problem switching before. Somehow I got into the Free File, but we don't qualify. They direct you to IRS.gov, but it just loops you back to calling TurboTax Free File for help. 

And NO, we shouldn't have to make a whole new account just to use a different TurboTax  product. For a brief moment there was a button that said "Upgrade" but it's gone.

We should NOT have to make a whole new account. I've been using TurboTax for over 10 years and I've NEVER had a problem switching between products.

Thank you! 

@ MonicaCherin wrote:

Thank you! 

I presume you are referring to the steps I provided higher up in this thread  (I noticed you had cheered the steps.)   Did they work for you to get you back into a paid product while saving your data and keeping the same account?

latoys

I did 2 free returns  for my children it was easier to use and I did a separate email address  for each child

Having done programing in the past I understand how the company set it up in order to keep the data separate

if a 79 year old can firgure it out anybody can do it

@latoys wrote:

I did 2 free returns  for my children it was easier to use and I did a separate email address  for each child

Having done programing in the past I understand how the company set it up in order to keep the data separate

if a 79 year old can firgure it out anybody can do it

That is correct.  That is a different situation, however.   Two separate returns for different people does require 2 separate accounts (separate User IDs).    Most of the people posting in this thread have reached the income limit for the TurboTax IRS Free File Program and thus no longer qualify to continue using it.  So they are asking how to get back to regular paid Online TurboTax to finish.   In prior years they had to use a different account and lost their entered data, but starting this year there is a way to switch back within the same account and preserving the data they already entered.  I provided the steps in another comment in this thread.

rickmanbt

Thank you!!

@rickmanbt wrote:

Thank you!!

You're welcome.  Good luck.

Thank you so much for this! I was seriously panicking if I was going to have to create a new account. 

This worked, thanks. I will add one suggestion that made it simpler: just use an incognito/private browser session.

Thanks for the tip.

@ BobEngleschmidt wrote:

This worked, thanks. I will add one suggestion that made it simpler: just use an incognito/private browser session.

Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome.  I'm glad it worked for you.   Yes, opening a new incognito/private browser session before going back to regular Online TurboTax should also work because it automatically does the same thing as my first 3 steps to clear the browser of any Intuit-related cookies and history so that the new Online TurboTax session won't put you in a loop.  Then a user could continue with the next 6 steps I outlined in my complete list above.    I admit a private browser session is faster then clearing cache and any TurboTax cookies and relaunching the browser.  So I may add that in a future answer as an additional option.   Thanks for the suggestion.

eldica4u

I need to get out of the free filling from the irs please

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies