Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to find the foreign source amount

I got the following error message asking me to enter the foreign source amount. I looked at my bank 1099-DIV and couldn't find the source amount. Anyone can help me how to fix this issue? Thank you

ForeignTax.JPG

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

You should be able to find the information on the pages that list the details on the dividend income. For example, what stocks or mutual funds/ETFs paid dividends and on what dates. The 1099-DIV form should be part of the composite 1099 forms. The foreign tax paid is typically in the last column on a certain page(s).

@fanchunrong

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Did you enter an amount of Foreign Tax in your 1099-Div entry?

If so, the supplemental info with your 1099-Div should tell you the amount of Foreign Dividends you received (or it may be a % of your Total Dividends).

The problem is, I can't find on 1099-Div that tells me the source.... Where should I find it?

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

You should be able to find the information on the pages that list the details on the dividend income. For example, what stocks or mutual funds/ETFs paid dividends and on what dates. The 1099-DIV form should be part of the composite 1099 forms. The foreign tax paid is typically in the last column on a certain page(s).

@fanchunrong

I see the foreign tax paid, but not anything related to the source :(

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

You cannot find the foreign income amount on the 1099-DIV form itself, you have to look through the other pages that come with the 1099-DIV. The details will be listed on those pages.

@fanchunrong

I did look through all the pages, and still didn't have any luck to locate the information 

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Did you sell foreign stocks? It could be taxes paid on capital gain. Any dollar amount reported in Box 2a of Form 1099-DIV? If foreign tax paid is reported on 1099-DIV, the tax was paid for either dividends or capital gain.

@tianwaifeixian

Yes, I do have a number on 1099-DIV box 2a, and also dividends. But the problem is, how am I supposed to know what amount contributes to the foreign tax??? it is for all the funds and stocks I have, right?  And the funny thing is, now I ran the error check, I do not see the error for the foreign tax source, instead, I am seeing the following. I am assuming this is also related to the foreign tax? How am I supposed to fix it?

Form1116.JPG

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

When you looked through all the pages, is there any column with the heading "foreign tax paid"? How many pages do you have in that composite 1099s? Is there an ETF or mutual fund invested internationally? If you cannot spot it, list some symbols here and let us know the brokerage house so that we can assist you further in this matter. 

@fanchunrong

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies