How to file tax with without ITIN?

How to file tax with without ITIN?

I am a permanent resident, and my wife lives abroad (never been to US). So as far as i am understanding, in other for me to file tax jointly, she need ITIN. Then i need to file tax and send by mail to IRS Austin Service Center along with her "w-7" Since i didn't have her ITIN for now, what should i put there?

Also do i need to send any other document with w-7 beside her foreign passport for identification and her birth certificate?

Any suggestion will be very helpful, thanks.

How to file tax with without ITIN?

I've been working legally in the US for a short period of time and already left the US, I also have got a SSN number. But my spouse has never entered to the US. So both of us have valid visas and if she would enter to the US she were eligible to obtain a SSN  (her visa like as mine allows to have a SSN) but the problem is that she won't go there. So from one hand, she is not a ITIN person and from other hand, she cannot obtain a SSN abroad. How can I report my income for 2017?

How to file tax with without ITIN?

You need to send the tax return and the ITIN application together to the address in the instructions for form W7. You would need to send a certified copy of her passport (no need for other documents). Don't send original documents.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

How to file tax with without ITIN?

since i didn't have her ITIN for now, what should i put when i file? turbo tax wont let me continue without that number. i have read somewhere i can put dummy number like 999-99-9999 is that true?

How to file tax with without ITIN?

yes, you can use that dummy number, but make sure to white it out before sending your return. It's only to "trick" Turbotax into finishing the return.

How to file tax with without ITIN?

Thanks for your reply @bine22 where do i write it out? do i need to send anything else on return to IRS beside tax return/w-7 and supporting documents for w-7

How to file tax with without ITIN?

white it out (with tipp ex for example).

How to file tax with without ITIN?

@bine22  got it thanks.