Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file amended return with carry back losses on Section 1256

I have some losses in Section 1256 Futures & Options in 2022/2021 that I want to carry back to 2020. I have overall Capital Gains in Schedule D of my 2020 tax returns. I've been trying to file an amended return with Turbotax, but having trouble to select the right section to input the carried back losses. Any help is appreciated.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I believe you would need to file Form 1045 for that purpose and TurboTax does not support that form.

See https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1045

An individual, estate, or trust files Form 1045 to apply for a quick tax refund resulting from:

• The carryback of an NOL.
  • The carryback of an unused general business credit.
  • The carryback of a net section 1256 contracts loss.
  • An overpayment of tax due to a claim of right adjustment under section 1341(b)(1).

under IRC REG 1.1212-1 only 1256 contract losses can be carried back and you need to have made the loss carryback election with both your 2020 and 2021 returns.  I cannot find anything as to whether or not late elections are allowed.

if you can or have made the elections 2020 would be carried back to 2017 and then forward. then 2021 to the extent available would be carried back to 2018 then forward.  those losses get reported on form 6781 to allow the 60/40 split.

here are the rules as to how much can be carried back and forward FROM FORM  6781 INSTRUCTIONS

Box D. Net Section 1256 Contracts Loss Election
If you have a net section 1256 contracts loss you can elect to carry it back 3 years. Corporations, partnerships, estates, and trusts are not eligible to make this election. Your net section 1256 contracts loss is the smaller of:
• The excess of your losses from section 1256 contracts over the total of (a) your gains from section 1256 contracts plus (b) $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately), or
• The total you would figure as your short-term and long-term capital loss carryovers to 2024 if line 6 of Form 6781 were zero. Use a separate Schedule D (Form 1040) and Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet (in Pub. 550) to figure this amount.
The amount you can carry back to any prior year is limited to the smaller of:
• The gain, if any, that you would report on line 16 of Schedule D (Form 1040) for that carryback year if only gains and losses from section 1256 contracts were taken into account; or
• The gain, if any, reported on line 16 of Schedule D (Form 1040) for that carryback year.
The amounts just described are figured prior to any carryback from the loss year. Also, the carryback is allowed only to the extent it doesn’t increase or produce a net operating loss for the carryback year. The loss is carried to the earliest year first.
Make the election by checking box D and entering the amount to be carried back on line 6. To carry your loss back, file Form 1045 or 1040-X.  Attach an amended Form 6781 and an amended Schedule D (Form 1040) for the applicable years.
On the amended Forms 6781 for the years to which the loss is carried back, report the carryback on line 1 of that year’s amended Form 6781. Enter “Net section 1256 contracts loss carried back from” and the tax year in column (a), and enter the amount of the loss carried back in column (b).

Turbotax is not available for 2017-2019 unless you used the desktop version and still have it installed. Reinstalling won't work because no updates or states are available for those years.  

I strongly suggest you do 2020 c/b c/f filings and wait until they're approved before doing 2021. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies