Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter limited mortgage deduction

I know my mortgage interest deduction is limited to less than what is reported in my 1098. How and where do I enter the lower amount.  The Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet just says enter the amount in the 1098, but there is no place to reduce it.  You can say your interest is different than the 1098, but the worksheet assumes you paid more not less.

What is the right way to do this? Either in Turbotax or in a form or worksheet.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Enter the 1098 exactly as printed. If any limits apply, the program will take care of it in the final review at the end.

It seems like 2018 TT has quite different handling of "Mixed Use Mortgage Interest" which results from previous refinancing of  loans secured by a primary residence. In the past there have been Mortgage Interest Limited smart worksheets to allocate Grandfathered Debt, Home Acquisition Debt and HELOC Debt amounts when refinanced into one. As I'd previously had amounts in those work sheets from previous years TT use, is 2018 TT still using and carrying forward the allocations that I had assigned to each of the categories? It's a complex calculation but TT has had schedules in the past to both calculate and track. Seems like in 2018 TT all seems to center around the 'current year' or loan in effect this year without handling the historical Mixed Use Mortgage components that are addressed and still in effect in Pub 936 for 2018. While there appears to still be some unclear areas of the 2018 changes, the Mixed Use Allocation requirements remain but TT no longer handles the same ??? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies