Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to edit imported AMT credit

The value imported for my prior year's AMT credit (Form 8801) is incorrect.  Is there any way to manually edit this value or override the bad imported data?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You may need to purchase the desktop version of TurboTax where you can make the adjustment in the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section. 

You can download your online TurboTax file so you don't need to re-enter any of your information. You can do that by using the Tax Tools option on your left menu bar, then Tools, then Save your 2021 return to your computer. You can still e-file your tax return and the cost of the program is comparable to the online product.

Next year, you can upload your tax file so you can go back to the online program if you want to.

Here is a link to the download TurboTax products:

TurboTax download

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

20 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can edit Alternative Minimum Tax in the Federal section under Other Tax Situations.

None of the workflows for the AMT section allow for editing the imported AMT credit.

The AMT credit shows up in `Deductions & Credits`->`Estimates and Other Taxes Paid`->`Credit for AMT Paid in Prior Year`.

The help description for this says: `If you used TurboTax last year and you qualify, we’ll handle this credit for you. If you didn’t use TurboTax last year, you’ll need your forms 1040, 6251, and possibly 8801 for the prior tax year in question.`

The "we'll handle this credit for you" is what isn't working.  The values shown are wrong with no apparent way to edit these or ignore the imported value from the prior year.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

@kevin138
Please clarify what version of TurboTax you are using this year.

I'm using turbotax premier online

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You may need to purchase the desktop version of TurboTax where you can make the adjustment in the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section. 

You can download your online TurboTax file so you don't need to re-enter any of your information. You can do that by using the Tax Tools option on your left menu bar, then Tools, then Save your 2021 return to your computer. You can still e-file your tax return and the cost of the program is comparable to the online product.

Next year, you can upload your tax file so you can go back to the online program if you want to.

Here is a link to the download TurboTax products:

TurboTax download

Thanks - I was hoping to avoid this option but unless this bug/limitation is fixed I don't think I have a better choice.

This ended up working.  The main turbotax desktop workflows gave the same experience as online and I could not edit the value, however loading the form directly and "overriding" the value was successful.

Holy **bleep**, this didn't actually work.  I made it all the way through, entered all my info, and was at the last step to e-file.  When attempting to e-file turbotax kicks me back saying I shouldn't override the field.... but that's the entire point of all this hassle.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Glad it worked for you.

@kevin138

I am having this same issue. Is there no way to enter this without having to override the form and void the efile / guarantee 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you are unable to get this to work, please follow the instructions here to contact us by phone. @jmcicc111

The only other method that's worked for me is to start a new, clean return without importing any history.  I forget if the standard workflows allow you to enter the carryover amount or if you have to do that on the form directly (I _think_ I had to manually set the value on the form).  Doing this still allowed for e-filing as the value isn't an 'override'.

I didn't use Turbo Tax last year, so I am unable to import my Form-8801 from 2021 showing AMT carryover credit. The interview process says it will handle for me, but it just looks for a prior year form and doesn't find one so tells me I don't qualify.  I do qualify, as I have a credit and do not have to pay AMT this year.  How can I get Turbo Tax to let me enter last year's Form-8801?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you did not file using Turbo Tax for a prior year, it would not import it. You would need to manually answer the questions to fill in the information. @kellylev 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies