Among other criteria, in order to file as Head of Household, you must have a dependent--either a qualifying child or a qualifying relative. For information concerning the head of household status, please see this TurboTax Tax Tip Video,
If you haven't already filed your return, you can change your filing status from Single to Head of Household by following these steps:
- Click on the Personal Info tab.
- On the Personal info Summary screen, if you haven't already added your child as a dependent, click on the Add a dependent box. [See Screenshot #1, below.]
- If you've already entered your child's info, please review it by clicking on the Edit box next to their name.
- Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.
- TurboTax will automatically change your filing status from Single to Head of Household if your child qualifies as your dependent.
If you have already filed your return, you can amend it to reflect the Head of Household filing status. Please see the following FAQ for amending your return:
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"