or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rexrandles
Level 2

How to calculate next year's RMD withdrawal tax liability and estimated taxes

I need to generate a $7.5k tax liability for next year in order to get a $7.5k tax credit for an electric car we purchased in 2021 (See IRS Form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit). In order to generate the tax liability I was going to take an RMD from one of my standard IRA accounts.

I need to 1) estimate how much of an RMD I need to withdraw to generate the $7.5k tax liability and 2) I need to figure out what my quarterly estimated taxes will be given that I will be taking out an RMD.  I'm retired, but under 70 1/2, and have never taken an RMD before; so figuring out tax liability for next year without ever having had a 1099-R to enter is new to me.

I will be making the RMD withdrawal this year.  Once I determine how much the withdrawal should be, any suggestions for how to enter this RMD withdrawal into TurboTax to view what my estimated tax payments would be, would be appreciated.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SidrahA
Level 2

Input  a 1099R with code code 7 (normal distribution).

Also, RMDs are calculated per publication 590, use the factors to determine your RMD. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SidrahA
Level 2

Input  a 1099R with code code 7 (normal distribution).

Also, RMDs are calculated per publication 590, use the factors to determine your RMD. 

View solution in original post

Rexrandles
Level 2

Thank you. This is what I did.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v