Rexrandles

How to calculate next year's RMD withdrawal tax liability and estimated taxes

I need to generate a $7.5k tax liability for next year in order to get a $7.5k tax credit for an electric car we purchased in 2021 (See IRS Form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit). In order to generate the tax liability I was going to take an RMD from one of my standard IRA accounts.

I need to 1) estimate how much of an RMD I need to withdraw to generate the $7.5k tax liability and 2) I need to figure out what my quarterly estimated taxes will be given that I will be taking out an RMD.  I'm retired, but under 70 1/2, and have never taken an RMD before; so figuring out tax liability for next year without ever having had a 1099-R to enter is new to me.

I will be making the RMD withdrawal this year.  Once I determine how much the withdrawal should be, any suggestions for how to enter this RMD withdrawal into TurboTax to view what my estimated tax payments would be, would be appreciated.

SidrahA

Input  a 1099R with code code 7 (normal distribution).

Also, RMDs are calculated per publication 590, use the factors to determine your RMD. 

SidrahA

Rexrandles

Thank you. This is what I did.