turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

justukele

How should I file my taxes if I am not a US citizen?

I worked in US last summer and want my taxes back but don't know how to finish everything. It requires to fill M1NR form but I can't do it because I am a citizen of a foreign country. How should I fix it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GeoffreyG

This is a detailed answer to your question.  Please read everything carefully so that you understand.  This area of United States tax law -- for international visitors and foreign citizens -- can be especially difficult to navigate.

For United States tax filing purposes, people fall into one of three broad classifications.  US citizens, resident aliens, and nonresident aliens.

Based on the (limited) information provided in your question, you would appear to qualify as a nonresident alien, for US filing purposes.

As a nonresident alien, you only need to file a US tax return for taxable income that you receive from US sources.  This is unlike resident aliens and US citizens, who must report their worldwide taxable income.  Filing a US tax return (and a state tax return too, if applicable) is also the only way to request a refund of US taxes withheld during the time you were working here.

As a nonresident alien, you will need to file a Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, plus Form 8843.  It also sounds like you wish to file a nonresident state tax return in Minnesota.

While TurboTax can complete most any type of tax return for US citizens and resident aliens, at the present time we do not support the nonresident Form 1040NR series of tax returns.  That is probably the reason why you are currently experiencing difficulty with the program.  Unfortunately, there is no fix for this, as TurboTax is not the right software program to meet your needs.

However, TurboTax has partnered with a company called "Sprintax.com" to offer certain nonresident tax preparation services.  They can definitely help you with filing a Form 1040NR, Form 8843, and a Minnesota Form M1NR.  Most customers we hear from are pleased with their services.  If you decide to go with them, then you won't need to find a specialized tax lawyer or international accountant.

In short, they are a cost-effective way to take care of your nonresident tax compliance needs, or to file a US return for the purpose of claiming a tax refund.

For further information you can visit them on the internet at:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

We hope this information will prove useful to you, and thank you for thinking of TurboTax.

CCTS

I am not citizen of USA. But my sister is citizen of USA. So is it possible to my sister inform my tax return. 

Am I considered a nonresident even though I am currently living and working in the US with a E2 investors visa?

Manage cookies