Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How should I file long form?

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

How should I file long form?

There is no more "long" form, just Form 1040 with schedules added as needed.  However, if you're referring to "itemizing" instead of taking the standard deduction, then you should itemize as long as it makes financial sense to you (i.e., helps you financially).

As a result of these and other tax law changes, our estimate is that nearly 90% of tax filers will now be taking the higher standard deduction, up from around 70% last year. And if you're in the 90% group, you won't see a change in your refund after entering your mortgage interest and property taxes.

The 2018 standard deduction is nearly double the 2017 amount:

$12,000 for Single

Add $1,600 if 65 or older

Add $1,600 if blind

$18,000 for Head of Household

Add $1,600 if 65 or older

Add $1,600 if blind

$24,000 for Married Filing Jointly or Surviving Spouses

Add $1,300 for each spouse 65 or older

Add $1,300 for each blind spouse

$12,000 for Married Filing Separately

Add $1,300 if 65 or older

Add $1,300 if blind

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies