`

How much to pay for estimated tax

I'm currently self employed through instacart and doordash and I know I am supposed to make estimated quarterly tax payments. This is my first year working through these and I have no idea how much I am supposed to pay for estimated quarterly taxes. I've already missed the first 2 deadlines and would like to make the next 2 on time. However, I have no idea how much I should pay. I see that I can make these payments directly on the IRS website. Is it okay to make a guess for payments? Or does it have to be exact?

How much to pay for estimated tax

No, it does not have to be exact.  Rule of thumb is to pay 20% of your estimated self-employment income after expenses as an estimated tax payment.

How much to pay for estimated tax

How much to pay for estimated tax

Would that rule of thumb apply to the total of all 4 estimated quarterly payments? For example, if I made $10,000, 20% of that would be $2,000. So should each of my estimated quarterly tax payments be $500?

How much to pay for estimated tax

@peter101611 wrote:

It would if you know that your annual self-employment income after expenses was $10,000.

However, you should probably use the estimated taxes worksheet on Form 1040-ES to calculate the taxes.

Go to this IRS website for a Form 1040-ES and use the worksheet with the instructions starting on page 5 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf#page=5