Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How much deduction or credit do I get for claiming an eligible parent as a dependent?

I’m single and have been filing for myself only for the past four years. I plan on claiming one of my parent as a dependent.

Does the amount of deduction or credit increases if I claim both of my parents? They are both unemployed and I’ve been supporting them.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How much deduction or credit do I get for claiming an eligible parent as a dependent?

You can claim your parents as your dependents if you provided more than half of their support in 2018 and if they each earn less than $4,150 in 2018. Social security benefits do not count as income.

When you claim your parents as dependents, you have no extra deductions but you will get an "Other dependent" credit of $500 for each of them. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does become the head of a household with parents as dependents change my tax bracket even if I’m single? And I get $500 per dependent credit?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You can file as Head of Household if you are unmarried, pay at least half of the cost of keeping up a home and have a dependent (who can be a parent). Filing as Head of Household will give you a higher deduction and lower tax rates. Your dependent parents will still get you the Other Dependent credit of $500 each.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies