turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

cats59tkg

How long did your manual review for state take?

I'm also under Manual Review - I lived off my 401k - OVERPAID estimated taxes so they got to use my money for free - and now I still have to wait to get my well-deserved refund back.  It was a very simple tax year and it was submitted via a CPA who charged me $350 to do my taxes.  So I got screwed and am still getting screwed.

With so many folks going under Manual Review, it seems like TurboTax ought to sit down with the Oregon Department of Revenue and work out a procedure to avoid this automatically happening for e-filers, like maybe TT attaching the W-2s and 1099s to the e-filed return so Oregon won't take months to request that info and then months to manually process the requested information after it is supplied.

Just checked the website and the message now says that unless I get a letter I should have my refund in 2 weeks. Not the same 'manual review' message.

Thanks for the update Eric. After seeing your comment I checked on mine too and I have the same message.
cats59tkg

I also checked my Manual Review notice and the new msg is that my return is now being processed.  My bank indicated a Pending deposit scheduled for tomorrow, 2/27/19.  I had my taxes done by a CPA this year and last year (last year was a very lengthy manual review).  I will DEFINITELY use Turbo Tax next year!!!
ivhs72

I got a text last night from my bank that said my refund was being deposited. I checked today and it's there now.

When did the people who got their state refunds file? This is the first year I haven't gotten my state and federal set the same time

I filed on the 9th of February
cats59tkg

My taxes were filed on February 6 - I got my Federal tax return on 2/13/19 and the State return showed up today, 2/27/19.
cats59tkg

I meant Fed and State REFUND...   

Make no mistake it's  not a Turbo Tax problem. I decided to file differently this year, because of the manual review. Same issue this year! Something has to be addressed. I'm  the cause of my financial issues, I blame no one, but I do pay what I owe, or at the least try to work it out before I'm even due. Nothing from Oregon. And apparently the problem has been going on for years. So my next question is political. How many that didn't receive a tax refund are Democrats and how many are Republicans? Because this answer in today's climate might explain it all.

Jody, I don't think it's political. Here's what Oregon Revenue Dept told tax professionals in May 2017 in response to questions about manual review, fyi.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/programs/taxpro/Documents/tax-practitioner-meeting_05-17.pdf">https://www...>

"Q – What does it mean when my client’s return is in “manual review”.
A – There are many reasons a return may be stopped during processing. Some examples are:
• Withholding unreasonable (amount of withholding doesn’t make sense compared to
reported income)
• Large refund
• Fraudulent return suspect
• Missing information
• Claimed the Working Family Household and Dependent Care credit

Processing criteria is determined at the start of each tax season. Criteria that will stop a return during processing is called an “edit”. If a return hits an edit, processing stops and the system assigns the return to a queue to be manually processed. At this time the “manual review” message will appear on the taxpayer’s account. The “manual review” message means the return is in a queue and does not mean the return is actively being reviewed. During heavy processing, there are tens of thousands of returns in the queue, and they are worked in the order received.

Many returns in “manual review” are able to complete processing automatically once someone evaluates the reason the return was stopped. Other returns require more information, and that’s when we will issue a letter. Because this is a manual process, it takes time, and a return can be in “manual review” for several months before being looked at. It does not mean someone at the department has been reviewing the return for a month.

Q – If we have additional support information, my it be included with the return as a PDF.

A – If the return is being electronically filed, YES! If your software supports attachments, the department can accept them, and we encourage this and it can prevent us from requesting the information later. If the return is being paper filed as a 2-D return, then no. Please only include the required forms. At this time we do not have the capability to process or image supporting documentation for paper-filed returns and this information will be stripped and shredded."

This is the first time I have ever seen the manually reviewed message for my OR state return, and this is my first time using Turbo-Tax for e-filing (previously was using different software), curious if there is a correlation?  I am also now a homeowner, where as I wasn't before.  I am also claiming mileage for volunteer work.  My state return is larger than usual due to the home ownership.  I normally also file earlier, was trying to hold off waiting for tax extenders to possibly pass. These are the only differences from the previous 6 years of returns.  Usually I get my state return before I receive my federal return :( This does not sound promising...
cats59tkg

Manual reviews are not necessarily associated with Turbo Tax or how easy or complicated your taxes are.  I have had my taxes go under manual review for 2017 and 2018.  I didn't use Turbo Tax, instead I used a tax preparer.  It took several months to get my 2017 taxes released and this year only a couple of weeks.  No rhyme or reason, just the way OR is.

Seriously! I get reviewed every single year that I have lived in Oregon. Never ever had the problem before, I really think they should keep a record of some sort for people they keep reviewing. In 2017 I just randomly got my sent to my bank in October! I thought it was a fluke, but seeing all the comments I guess it’s not. Turbo Tax should add the Oregon “stops” to their check list to help prevent this from happening.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies