• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiggersb314

How is the 5 efile limit counted? is it 5 per turbotax account used during the efile?

7 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

How is the 5 efile limit counted? is it 5 per turbotax account used during the efile?

By using TurboTax desktop edition, It allows you to e- file up to five federal tax returns. 

Please see below information for details.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302087

daveikay
Level 2

You did not answer the question.  "How is it counted?"  E.g. does it check the number of e-files associated w/ a license key?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The number of e-files generated from the individual software that you purchased.  See here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jenmarmar
Returning Member

I have not used all 5 of my efiles in my home and business software and it says that I have reached my limit. I HAVE to efile tonight for the extension deadline. Why is it saying that I have reached my limit? Where can I see this? @JamesG1

Carl
Level 15

I have not used all 5 of my efiles in my home and business software

Maybe *YOU* haven't used the maximum of 5 e-files for your e-mail address. But that doesn't mean somebody didn't use your e-mail address to file theirs. Perhaps another family member?

The IRS (not turbotax) limits the number of returns you can e-file each year to 5 per e-mail address. So if you have another e-mail address, try it.

Jenmarmar
Returning Member

This is through the Home and Business software though. How would I go about doing that? My 21yr old daughter filed her own taxes on the free Turbo Tax online, but not through my software.

Carl
Level 15

Just work through everything under the FILE tab again, and use a different e-mail address. If you want text notifications for that return, then use a different phone number also.

You "may" need to install the software on a different computer also, then transfer the .tax2019 file from the old installation to the new one. It's located in the documents/turbotax directory.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v